Thursday, May 10, 2012

Sarah Burton/ Phillip Treacy Fashion Panel


Last wednesday, I had the pleasure of attending the annual academy art symposium. Their has been some amazing guests since i've been attending the school, but none as exciting to me as these two. I've been in awe of how expertly and respectfully Sarah Burton has handled Alexander McQueen's line, so I knew she would offer some one of a kind insights into the fashion world. I'm also a big fan Phillip Treacy, who's beautiful millinery concoctions have been the highlight of many a runway show throughout the years. What I loved most about the symposium though, was how personal it became. They both told us about various details of being in the business and how to operate within it, usually with Sarah Burton talking a more traditional stance and Phillip Treacy going the more irreverent route. Their obvious differences in approach were overshadowed by the overwhelming force of the conversation, the late greats Alexander McQueen and Isabella Blow. It was amazing to hear a group of people that knew them both so well, referring to them as 'Lee' and 'Issy'. While I'm a huge fan of Sarah and Pillip, McQueen and Blow legitimately changed my life, and it was a pleasure to feel so close to them. So while I learned very little as far as substantial concrete information to guide me through my career, I gained a very positive spiritual event that will help guide me through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment