Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Interview: Colin of Darkside Initiative






Apparently, what sets a blog apart is original content, so here you go. I interviewed streetwear veteran and all-around OG Colin, the founder of one of the western worlds most revered shops, Darkside Initiative. If you didn't know, Darkside is one of a literal handful of shops in N. America that are allowed to carry NBHD, Wtaps, Acronym, etc., not accounts given out lightly, and they also get the first string releases from Converse, Nike, and Vans. I myself have a long history with the space, visiting often back in the day when it was Recon/Nort to pick up my clown shoe dunks, so I knew Colin could offer an interesting insight into the history of street fashion in SF.

Can you tell us a bit about the road that led to the opening of Darkside Initiative?
When i was still in Philly, in 97', I started a brand called Spec Ops. With that brand I got Japanese distribution and started making connections in Japan. Soon after that, my friend Blue started a brand called Project Dragon w/ Stash and Futura. At that time, Project Dragon was the brand, and Recon was going to be the physical space. In 1999, it all just became Recon, and that's when the original space opened. The shoe space Nort then opened in 2003, and Darkside absorbed the whole lot in 2006.

What do you love about the Japanese aesthetic?
I like that there isn't flashy shit and branding everywhere. These are basics with bursts of flashiness at times. When you're like me, someone who wears essentially the same thing everyday, it's important that things last. I have pieces I've rock steadily for 5 to 10 years that still look good. I have a bag and a jacket from Acronym's first collection that I've worn regularly that are still in perfect condition. I have pieces from NBHD and Wtaps that are over 10 years old and still look great.

Can you tell us a little about your buying process?
I do all the buying alongside my employees. I don't actively keep up with whats going on in streetwear, I wouldn't know if a kid came in wearing Visvim's or whatever, thats why I employed the people i did. That said though, i know what sells. I don't get to visit Tokyo as much anymore, but I'm so familiar with the brands I can get a good idea of weight, etc through the pictures, which is what I base a lot of my buying on. One important thing to me is always buying a solid range from each brand each season. These exclusive brands are nice enough to sell to me, so I want to make sure I represent each of their season's visions clearly. I do also check out the end of season trend reports, cause sometimes I think something looks ridiculous, but the most important thing is giving the kids what they want.

How have the costumers changed over the years?
Although the styles change, our core costumer stays the same. It's someone who cares about the quality of what their wearing, and wants others to know they're on a next level hype. Obviously, fads come and go. The limited edition shoe bubble burst with the end of regional releases, and that really changed everything. Nikes are coming back though, the Zoom Rookies sold out in under an hour.

Future of Darkside Initiative?
Well I plan on expanding the in-house line once i free up some extra cash, but right now, it's just to continue being good to our vendors as well as our costumers.

I'de like to thank Colin for his time, and also for the Darkside tee's.
More info on Darkside HERE.




No comments:

Post a Comment